Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

What does drl and 253 subdivisions : No we're trying to do

Customer Question

What does drl and 253 subdivisions
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we're trying to do without lawyers
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I'm not sure how if when 401k pension and retirement would be paid to me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

DRL is "domestic relations law" and 253 is the statute dissolving or terminating marriage.

Under the law, you are entitled to a marital share of the 401K based on what the court decides should be equitable division of the property. You could get this lump sum immediately, but someone would have to pay the taxes on that if it is early withdrawal, or you can be eligible to take it when you reach the proper age, or the court can order your share to be rolled over into another qualified retirement plan. This is all something decided during the property division part of the divorce proceeding.