Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a US citizen who had a baby abroad, the baby is

Customer Question

I am a US citizen who had a baby abroad, the baby is 18-month now. The baby's biological father was present when the baby was born, but he is not listed on the birth certificate. I am the only parent listed. The father decided to leave us and went back to Cakifornia, we have not heard from him since. I am now brining the baby back to California and want to prevent any possible complications regard child custody. My questions are:
1) since there is no father listed on the birth certificate, if the father suddenly decides to claim paternity, is it true he needs to claim with CA court, and a letter needs to be served personally to me?
2) i've read news where a parent can claim another parent kidnap the kid if the parent brought the kid out of country and did not came back to America in time. Since I had a baby abroad and I am the only parent listed on the birth certificate, is this something I need to worry about?
Submitted: 11 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

1) since there is no father listed on the birth certificate, if the father suddenly decides to claim paternity, is it true he needs to claim with CA court, and a letter needs to be served personally to me
?

Response 1: If you reside in California, the father must file paternity action at the Superior Court in the County where you reside with the child and serve you with a notice of the action.

It is worth noting that until the Court has established him to be the father that he has no rights to custody or visitation--he has no parental rights.

Response 2: Absolutely not. Also, the father has no rights since he has not formally established paternity of the child and cannot file complaint against you for parental kidnapping.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.