Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

In December I had my 18-year old son involuntarily

Customer Question

In December I had my 18-year old son involuntarily hospitalized because he talked about suicide. He insists it was never his intention. Now he is asking me get an attorney to have it taken off of his record. Is that possible? What is the process? If I was wrong about his intentions, I don't want to make life harder for him. We live near Raliegh, NC
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Luckily for your son there is a process in North Carolina that specifically grants the ability to seek an expungement of commitment records. Below I will post the code which expressly lists the process and the steps necessary. You can retain an attorney, it is possible, but it may be a bit time consuming.

Please look to NCGS Sec. 122C-54.1. Restoration process to remove mental commitment bar.

Hope that helps and good luck to you and to your son!

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I paid for the detailed response. This reference only covers the purchase of firearms. What about background checks for employment, etc.? What about security checks if one is required for a job application?

Thank you for your follow-up.

As I had no idea what you were seeking, I provided to you the actual code to bypass involuntary commitment. beyond that the history remains on file and cannot be expunged directly--I have been looking for other code for you and have not found it, permitting me to conclude that there is no state specific process in place. There is no ability to expunge the court records, and that means that this will appear as a background check, and likewise would need to be disclosed as far as a security check.

Dimitry, Esq.