Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I had a lawyer in a criminal case and he represented me

Customer Question

i had a lawyer in a criminal case and he represented me for two years, in the beginning he said he was doing all this work and research and investigating and blah blah blah, then i felt he wasn't representing me well enough so i fired him and got a new attorney. plot twist, and I'm not kidding, he killed himself a month later. my new lawyer, said that he did literally nothing on the case for me. and will not represent the case i want to put against my old attorney. i also feel my rights were not represented well enough and that my case suffered from his negligence and his lack of honesty with me. I feel that the courts should take this into consideration for my case, i was not given a plea bargain in the beginning and nothing was done for my case as i keep saying, yes I'm a broken record, but this is a big deal of a case and i could go to prison over this and it could have been prevented if he had done his job, can my case be thrown from lack of ethics from my old attorney and from him not taking time sensitive issues seriously?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: califnornia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not for the case against the previous lawyer.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: the plaintiffs related to a police officer from our county, and i am 26, and I'm a male. i guess thats all i wanna divulge right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

If you are asking whether your case could be thrown out because you believe you had an incompetent, do-nothing lawyer, the answer is no. On the other hand, if you go all the way to trial with your new lawyer and you lose the case because of problems caused by your old lawyer that cannot be undone, the ineffective assistance of your first lawyer could be the basis for an appeal and a possible reversal of your conviction.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Who do I reach out to complain about my former lawyer? I want to know if my family can be paid back
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

You could file a grievance with your lawyer's bar association, and they will investigate. You could appeal your case on the basis of ineffective assistance. You could also consult with a civil attorney and go after your lawyer for malpractice, but that's most successful when there's a finding someplace that he or she was ineffective.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.