Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can. Mother and boyfriend sleep in a unfinished basement

Customer Question

Can. Mother and boyfriend sleep in a unfinished basement with 2 daughters 7 and 2
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was asking because one of the kids is my grandchild
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My son and I pratically raised my granddaughter for 7 years and now her mother has a boyfriend. That drinks and did drugs and my granddaughter wants to b here. Her mother hits her and leaves bruises on her . She cries not to go there . but my son isnt on the birth certificate. Her mom never even paid attention to her until she got married and now she left her husband and he's trying to get custody of her sister.
JA: Custody issues can be tough for everyone involved. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My son has a DNA test but he didn't get it done yet because now she's not letting her come she should b here Monday but the moms sister in law told me She asked her to watch her. We always had her with us. All the teachers know me and the doctors have is on the list. She stayed with us all time .the child is very upset even talked about running away to come here I told her not too. she asked us when she can tell them she wants to live here she said she dont want to be there. The mom is pregnant again with this new boyfriend I heard he lost his kids because of abuse but they live in Porto Rico so I dont think they can get any records on that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, does the basement have a restroom or a separate entrance or exit? How large is the space?