Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I owe back child support and they add interest on it $100.00

Customer Question

I owe back child support and they add interest on it $100.00 a month. its $13,000 the reason its so high she said she didn't want child support or any thing from me then 4 years later child support came after me I have to pay monthly support plus the interest. By them adding the back support and interest ill never get it paid off . I am married with two kids and I cant buy a house as long as I have back child support. Is there any thing I can do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
One of the only things you can do with child support is go to court and file a motion to modify and ask the court for a reduction upon proof that she refused child support for that 4 years. If you cannot convince the court that arrears should be reduced because she refused support for the 4 years, then the only other option is to try to negotiate some lump sum payoff she will agree upon to waive the remainder of the arrears, which she is allowed to do and then you would file a joint stipulation to waive arrears and recite that you came to an agreement and in exchange for the lump sum she agrees to waive any other arrears and interest.