I am very sorry to hear this;
unfortunately there is no exception to the 1 year period of separation that is required by statute:
However, one can separate and then proceed with divorce after 1 year; at that time one can petition the court for an equitable division of property, requesting reimbursement for any money spent during the marriage on the other parties. This is permitted because spouses owe one another a fiduciary duty re: assets - ie not to spend it in a manner contrary to the marriage. More information on that here:
One can proceed with a divorce from bed and board:
§ 50-7. Grounds for divorce from bed and board.
The court may grant divorces from bed and board on application of the party injured, made as by law provided, in the following cases if either party:
(1) Abandons his or her family.
(2) Maliciously turns the other out of doors.
(3) By cruel or barbarous treatment endangers the life of the other. In addition, the court may grant the victim of such treatment the remedies available under G.S. 50B-1, et seq.
(4) Offers such indignities to the person of the other as to render his or her condition intolerable and life burdensome.
(5) Becomes an excessive user of alcohol or drugs so as to render the condition of the other spouse intolerable and the life of that spouse burdensome.
(6) Commits adultery. (1871-2, c. 193, s. 36; Code, s. 1286; Rev., s. 1562; C.S., s. 1660; 1967, c. 1152, s. 7; 1971, c. 1185, s. 22; 1979, c. 561, s. 5; 1985, c. 574, ss. 1, 2.)
While that is a legal separation (versus divorce) it does allow the court to divide property now and to award spousal support
Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.
Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.
(no additional charges are incurred).
Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.