Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I WANT COURT ORDERED VISITATION BETWEEN MY SON AND S FATHER

Customer Question

I WANT COURT ORDERED VISITATION BETWEEN MY SON AND HIS FATHER BUT I DO NOT WANT CHILD SUPPORT...IS THIS POSSIBLE?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CALI
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: SACRAMENTO COUNTY
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. No, it is not possible. The child support is your child's right, not yours. The State has an interest in making sure that the child is supported by their parents, so the laws require support by both parents to the degree that they can contribute. So, you cannot voluntarily waive support. There is a formula they will use (you will need to talk to your attorney or whoever is handling the visitation and support issue for that) which they will use to come up with the total support amount and then apportion it between the parents, with the non-custodial parent paying to the custodial parent for the child's benefit.

The support requirement is independent of the visitation issue. In other words, even if the parent was excluded from visitation for some reason (like abuse), they would still be required to contribute support.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you