Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My son and s wife live around the block from us and do not

Customer Question

My son and his wife live around the block from us and do not want us to have anything to do with our 9 and 11 year old grandchildren. My daughter-in-law has big psychological issues, including pathological lying and spending almost a 100,000 on charge cards, which my son did not know about. We have been willing to help with this mess, but our daughter-in-law wants no part of us and is not letting us have any quality time with her kids. My son is going along with this, because he is afraid if he supports our efforts in seeing his kids, she will divorce him, and make life even more miserable for him. She has told the principal of our grandchildren's school that we are not allowed on campus even to watch them on Award's Day, receiving special honors. Is this legal?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The mother has no legal rights to bar you from the school because she has no ownership of it. The school is a public school so only school personnel could bar you from the premises. She can prevent you from having contact with the children if your son goes along with it because SC courts assume that the parents of an intact family unit are the ones in the best position to make determinations about who has contact with their children.

.

So while mother couldn't keep you from the school event since it is a public ceremony, she could prevent you from contacting the children.

.

This is going to fall on son as to where he wants to come down in this dispute and it sounds like he has made his decision.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks