Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I have a court order that states my ex husband is to pay off

Customer Question

I have a court order that states my ex husband is to pay off a debt to Oregon State University for tuition owed, and a student loan, took out fraudulently in our daughter's name. The Judgement was made March 4, 2016. He had until June 1, 2016 to pay the debt. It is not paid and he has not indicated that he will. Our daughter is now 21. What is the most efficient and least costly means to either get his wages garnished or compel him to pay immediately? She is waiting to enroll in college courses and is prohibited from doing so because of this. She has been waiting patiently for 2 years for this debt to be paid and for her to continue her education. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice /legal service you should contact a local attorney.

What is the total amount that the ex was ordered to pay according to the judgment?

Was this a family court judgment?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The amount is approximately $14,000. I believe it was a family court judgement, as we went to trial on 11 contempt charges against him.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the most effective way to enforce a judgment is to hire an experienced local family law attorney to file a Motion for Contempt of Court and to Enforce a Judgment and at the same time this local attorney can get a writ of garnishment issued against the ex, but generally wage garnishments are limited to up to 25% of the net wages. It might also be possible for this local attorney to place a lien on any real property that ex might own or to levy any personal property, such as cars and bank accounts in order to collect on the judgment.

You can find an experienced and skilled local family law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com

www.martindale.com

www.lawyers.com

www.legalmatch.com

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to family law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was trying g to avoid using more legal counsel to represent me and my daughter. But I see I have no choice. I have heard what you said already. I was hoping to get you to write and do the work, but I see that this website is not set up to do that. Thano you for your time.

Thank you.

Thank you.