Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am getting out of the Navy Year Tenure shortly and am

Customer Question

I am getting out of the Navy for High Year Tenure shortly and am curious how this will affect my child support because I will be unemployed.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 months ago.

This is Samuel.

I suggest you will want to consider filing for a modification to have the child support readjusted based on your unemployment income. Keep in mind, that the court will have expectations that you will be reaching your earning potential. And so while there are reduced payments based on your unemployment interest is accumulating on the arrears - that part of the payment you have been granted relief for until you get another job.

You can file for the Modification by getting the form from the clerk of the court where your order was issued.

Fill it in, file it and have it served on the other party. There will be hearing set.