Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I am a single parent living in Illinois. Me and my ex

Customer Question

I am a single parent living in Illinois. Me and my ex boyfriend have a 4 year daughter together. He signed the birth certificate and he is the father. We have now been apart almost a year. We have never went to court he has always paid me child support willingly. He just showed up today and cut my child support to 450.00 ( was paying me 700.00) Just said I cant pay you that much anymore. He see's my daughter about once a week... when she will go with him. She has never stayed the night, and he has never pushed the issue. He recently moved in with a girl friend and now is pushing for more time with her and over night stays. My daughter is petrified. I would like to know what I should do? Do I need to file for full custody with the court to protect me and her? What are my rights as a mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. The first thing I would encourage you to do is file for child support. Afterwards - or simultaneously for that matter - you can decide whether you want to file for full physical custody or legal custody or any variation of that (I can explain the difference if you want me to). At the moment you are well within your right to deny overnight visits given that your daughter is petrified AND because there is another person in your ex's apt that you may not want around your daughter. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so. I'm also available by phone if that would help you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what are the differences in the custody's?

Give me just a sec... typing...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay! :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would prefer text.... I am inquiring for my niece and i want to have the text to refer back too...

Physical custody is where your daughter lives - you can have full physical custody where she lives with you and only visits him or you can have joint physical.

As far as legal custody - which means decision making ability - you have sole or joint. Generally courts do joint in *almost* all cases.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, so I live in Macoupin county is that where I would file?

yes, you'd file where you live.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what would I need to file? do you know what the fees are for filing?

You would file a motion for custody and child support (or one or the other). I pulled the filing fees for Cook County - yours will be very similar. See attached: http://12.218.239.52/forms/pdf_files/CCG0603.pdf

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so.

http://www.macoupincountyil.gov/circuit_court_fees.htm

For your county.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What would his child support be based on? w-2 or recent pay stubs? and I do not have the address of his girl friends house, how would they notify him?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you saying I cant file for full legal custody?

You would provide your financials and he would have to provide his - and a child support calculator application makes the determination. If you don't know his address there are process servers that can find him for you. You can file for full legal custody - I just want you to have all the information as to the likelihood of everything. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Could you also please take a moment to submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way I get credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am concerned that his girlfriend is on anxiety medicine and I feel uncomfortable with my daughter being around her... I am presently not working I am getting assistance from the state.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I can get his address then do I not need a server to serve him the papers?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when I go to the court house what do I need to tell them I want to file? How long does this process normally take and how long before you usually get a court date.

It seems that you have quite a few more questions. I would appreciate your taking a moment to rate the answer you have been provided before we continue addressing additional questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought I rated when we were finished?

Typically you ask a question and anything directly related to your question. It appears that you have many questions and I'd like to ensure that I receive credit before we continue discussing other questions .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
in looking at the site you provided I do not see any fees for filing for child custody?

(F) Family

Pleading$92.00

Answer/Entry of Appearance$77.00

It's all on that page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I feel like I am only asking question that pertain to this topic?

We have addressed the following topics already:

1. I would like to know what I should do? Do I need to file for full custody with the court to protect me and her? What are my rights as a mother?

2. So what are the differences in the custody's?

3. Ok, so I live in Macoupin county is that where I would file?

4. and what would I need to file? do you know what the fees are for filing?