NYFamilyLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, licensed for 36 years as a trial and appellate attorney

I drink 2 or 3 beers a night. Now I received a letter from

Customer Question

I drink 2 or 3 beers a night. Now I received a letter from my 16 year old's high school about aloteen, can I get in trouble for this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NYFamilyLawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Your child is obviously distressed by the amount of drinking and has sought out Alateen because of it.

Alateen is part of Al‑Anon Family Groups. Alateen is a fellowship of young Al-Anon members, usually teenagers, whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking. Alateen groups are sponsored by Al-Anon members who help the group to stay on track. Alateens come together to:

• share experiences, strength, and hope with each other
  • discuss difficulties
  • learn effective ways to cope with problems
  • encourage one another
  • help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon program
  • learn how to use the Twelve Steps and Alateen's Twelve Traditions

If you had a younger child, you'd most definitely get in trouble because you would be found to possibly not function as a parent -- and even if you say you can, NJ DCF would disagree with you. However, it is something that cannot be ta***** *****kely even if the child is 16. That's because the school and DCF consider the environment the child is in, even if the child is a teenager.

To make sure everything goes smoothly for the family, it's important to discuss this with your child, and find out what he/she is feeling about your drinking and what he/she has to say about it. If your child asks you to attend meetings with him or her, please consider going. Then you may realize you have a problem, even if you think you can beat it. Most people usually cannot on their own. This is setting an example for the child of drinking and while alcoholism is a disease, and we understand that it is, it manifests in many different ways. Drinking every night is one form of alcoholism. There are many others. You may not be falling down drunk, but your child is telling you he/she is concerned and doesn't like it. The best thing you can do is to listen. The last think you want is DCF on your case!

Does this answer your question? I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred). Thank you so much, and thank you on behalf of your child. You'll be doing the right thing for both of you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I'm always happy to help. Thank you in advance for rating me. Have a good evening!

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.