Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I've received an email from an individual claiming to be my

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I've received an email from an individual claiming to be my child from an illegitimate relation (supposedly), 23 years ago
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: threatening for back-pay chld support, etc
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: anyone I can consult with, urgently?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: looking for a lawyer at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 6 months ago.

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there has not yet been any "legal action" taken from the party claiming to be my illegitimate child - this individual however states he lives in Florida

OK; thank you.

If the parent has enough contact with the state at issue (for example, if the child was conceived there, the parent paying support lived with the child there or sent the child to live there),that state's child support services can ask that state's court to set an order for child support.

If not, the child support services can send a legal document called an interstate petition to the state where the parent paying support lives to ask the child support agency there to establish a child support order.

Paternity can be established in the same manner

If the other state is asked to establish paternity or a support order using an interstate petition, that state will use its own process for establishing paternity and a child support order, versus the child's "home state".

Is it possible the child was conceived in FL if the child is yours? Also what state are you residing in?