Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

In Tennessee if the person who filed the protection order

Customer Question

In Tennessee if the person who filed the protection order violates it by harassing and stalking the person that had the order placed against him...is there recourse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Stalking and harassment are crimes. A victim of stalking and harassment can always notify police and file a police report, even if the perpetrator has a restraining order against them. The victim may also be able to seek a restraining order against that person. If they continue to make contact, then they could be charged with contempt of court for violating the order, on top of everything else.

There is also a civil cause of action for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, which allows a person to seek monetary damages against someone who behaves in extreme and outrageous conduct that serves no legitimate purpose other than to upset the target. That might be another option. A person is allowed to seek both criminal and civil sanctions based on the same conduct - if this person is convicted, the victim will automatically win the civil suit because the burden of proof is lower.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?