Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I am a resident of Florida. We have a paternity case going

Customer Question

I am a resident of Florida. We have a paternity case going on in Pasco County Florida. The last hearing the temporary judge ordered a temp order that father have primary care in the state of California (very bad ruling) anyway the court order states that both parties are to make sure that the child maintais contact with the other parent. I flew to California last Friday and have went to his school in which he wasn't there (against court order) I later talked to my child and he was healthy and eating at McDonalds clearly his father is keeping me from seeing him. We have court-ordered Skype visits in which the father is simply cutting them off when I try to let my child that I am here for him. My child is 6 and is emotionally very upset. Now, the father's ex-convicted felon has assaulted me by chasing me, threatening me, screaming at me, telling me I am going to jail. Is there something that I can do in CA courts at this time?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your next step would be that you need to file the FL court order in the CA courts with a petition to recognize foreign judgment (domesticate foreign judgment) and once you do so, you would file a motion for order to show cause for contempt to get the CA court to enforce the FL court order and force him to allow the communications and contact the FL court ordered.
Also, simultaneously you can file your appeal in FL at the same time and proceed to try to force the FL court to vacate the lower court ruling and try to reverse it.
You are going to have to get the foreign judgment recognized in CA though so you can then ask their courts to enforce it.