TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Okay my daughter biological father is not on her birth

Customer Question

Okay my daughter biological father is not on her birth certificate and hasn't seen or spoke to her her whole life until a week ago when I contacted his mom (after several attempts to message him) and ask if he ever intended to be involved in her life. I want him to be but he has since threatened to get joint custody though my daughter is 22 months and doesn't even know him. I'm scared of the mental effect it'll have on her if she's forced to stay with him every other weekend when she doesn't even know him. He never cared to contact her or get to know her for 22 months and has no legal rights as of now. Can I file for full custody and win with what evidence I have proving if not for me he wouldn't be involved at all? I want what's best for her and being forced on a complete stranger I feel will have a negative effect on her. What can I do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Yes, you can file for sole custody, and if you demonstrate that the father has not been involved at all in your daughter's life, then there is a very, very good chance that you'll win sole custody. Under these circumstances, I would not expect the father to be granted anything other than short visitations. If those short visitations are successful, then in time he can ask for more time with his daughter, and at some point in the future he may be granted visits every other weekend, but I believe that we are a long way off from that! He likely has no idea how to even take care of her, and as you pointed out, she doesn't even know him. Accordingly, he would not be granted anything even close to that right now.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!