Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In a custody battle, how do grandparents secure visitation

Customer Question

In a custody battle, how do grandparents secure visitation rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

In order to seek visitation, the grandparents would have to file a petition for grandparent visitation rights and ask the judge to grant you time to see the child/ren.

Every state is different with the standards/requirements for visitation, and if you'll let me know what state you're in, I'll be glad to provide the criteria for your state.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The case is in Colorado and we are willing to move to Colorado. We reside in Florida.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No live phone all.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Here's a good link you can read that outlines when and how grandparent rights are available: http://www.coloradolegalservices.org/lawhelp/resource/what-are-your-rights-as-a-grandparent

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

You probably should consult a lawyer in the area where the child/ren live and discuss getting a petition filed......especially since you live several states away. Also, in order to exercise the visitation rights, you may have to travel to Colorado (but you likely would not have to move there).

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.