Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I received a mail from the sheriff's office stating that the

Customer Question

I received a mail from the sheriff's office stating that the civil process unit currently holds a warrant for my arrest due to me not paying child support. When will they arrest me or should I say how much time do I have? Do I have to pay the purge amount in full? I need advice to avoid going to jail.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm located in Orlando, Florida if that matters.
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there --

-

If they have a true warrant to arrest, then the Sheriff;s department must execute the warrant within thirty days of their receiving the warrant -- otherwise the warrant must be sent back to the court and a new warrant issued (which is rare).. My suggestion is that you try to get as large amount of money together as possible so that when you are arrested if the court asks for a large payment towards your arrears you will at least have some money set aside that you can negotiation with the court with. THe court is willing to be reasonable and if you have extenuating circumstances that you cannot get all of the money together at that time, they court will take whatever they can get out of your for facilitating your release from custody and you will be in a probationary period until you can come up with the rest of the money that they are seeking (even if the amount due can be made in payments). So, while you have no idea when the arresting officer will come, if you can get as prepared as possible to have as much money available as possible then you may be in and out of the courthouse very quickly if the court is willing to take what you can come up with. Obviously this is all up to the discretion of the judge but the judges are very reasonable in these matters and know that it is hard for you to earn and make money if you are locked up for a long period of time.

-

Do you have any further questions for me? If not, can you please press a positive rating above these chat boxes so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. So, I really do appreciate that you want to make sure I am paid and given credit for my time for assisting you with this question. Your question will not close and you can come back in and ask follow up questions for several weeks after the question was asked. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello again --

-

Do you have any further questions for me on this topic? If not, can you please press a positive rating above these chat boxes in the star rating section? I am paid NOTHING unless you press the middle star or the third or fourth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. Doing so will not cost you additional money -- it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you with this question. Otherwise, I am paid nothing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY