Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Modification inquiry: mother and children liven in PA,

Customer Question

Modification inquiry: mother and children liven in PA, father "resides" in SC, but works in PA and MD. When I asked for a review, PA sent modification request to SC; nothing was done being that he doesn't technically live in SC.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.
Which state issued the child support order? Until you register your order in Pennsylvania then the other state has jurisdiction.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I placed the child support request in PA. GA was the place where we divorced, hence the original child support was in GA. When I moved to PA I filed for child support through family services in order to get it modified for an increase. Because he lived in SC, the South Carolina courts then modified the original GA support and is now in SC. I live in PA. I was told by my case worker that it all needed to be done in SC.

Yes then South Carolina has jurisdiction to enforce and modify the order.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but my question is... what can I do or how can I go about getting it modified if he works in PA, but still uses SC as his state of residence. Is there anything that can be done in cases like these? He will never change his place of "residence" just so that he can avoid an increase even if he has a higher paying job now.

Just because allegedlybresides in SC does not mean you are not entitled to a modification. If he is making more factoring in the other states' income then SC court should agree to the modification.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.