Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

I am not legally married to the father of my two children

Customer Question

I am not legally married to the father of my two children who are 2 and 5 years old.
But we will be going our separate ways and I been a stay at home Mom for the past 5 years.
I will be going back to work and the father of my children just left his job to stay with the kids home but I still like to have joint custody. Is it hurting me that I will be going back to work and he is at home? Will he get full custody based on him being home and I will be working? Please let me know what my chances are. Thank you in advance.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. As far as legal custody, you would be just as entitled to 50-50 custody whether or not you stay home or go to work. As far as physical custody, meeting where the children live, working outside the home also doesn't hurt you – long as you are able to be there for your children. So, no, there's no reason for him to get full custody and just because he is at home and you are working. Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have additional questions or need me to clarify anything.