Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I went to the court today and found out my Ex? and I are

Customer Question

I went to the court today and found out my Ex? and I are still maried, the divorce is not final yet. Who has custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Until one of you files a Motion for Temporary Custody and the judge issues an order, you have shared custody. That means you each have equal rights to the children - you can't take them away from her, she can't take them away from you. If no one has filed yet, you can put in the request yourself. The judge is interested in determining what is in the best interests of the children, so if you and your ex can't agree on a parenting plan, you'd explain to the judge all the reasons he should order what you're suggesting. You serve the motion on your ex-wife by having an adult third party mail it (you can be standing there when they do), and she gets time to respond. Then the judge will set a hearing.

Here is the form:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?