Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was in a relationship with someone in Kentucky and ended

Customer Question

I was in a relationship with someone in Kentucky and ended this relationship and I can't get her to quit contacting me and my fiancé. If I block a number of on social media, she creates another account or number to use. Can I get a no contact order or something to make her end her harassment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you can file a telephone harassment or general harassment charge against the person if she will not leave you alone. However, if this person is in Kentucky, you'd likely have to file in the county where she lives in order for the court to have jurisdiction over her. But, you can get a court order requiring the person to stop any and all contact with you -- via phone, email, text, Facebook, etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But that court order would have to be in her county, correct? Do I have to go there to file?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Yes - That'd be the only real way to get an effective/enforceable order......you could file in your home county/state, but they'd have to issue a warrant for her in TN and if they can't find her in TN to arrest her, nothing will ever come of it.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

But, if you file in the county/state where the person lives, the person will be served/arrested and required to appear in court.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I have to physically go to her state/county to file? Would I have to attend court?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

You could probably file the charges without appearing....but you'd have to appear in court for the hearing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have any idea how much this should cost me in legal and court fees?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Well, if you file criminal charges, this cost is minimal because you're represented by the county prosecutor...so your only expense should be the filing fee -- which would be $100 or so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there another option that may scare her into ceasing all communication that doesn't require that I present to court?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Nothing is as scary as being arrested......but a letter from a local lawyer threatening prosecution if she doesn't stop contacting you would he the next best thing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What would be my first step in the option to file something in her state/county?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

You would contact the court clerk's office for misdemeanor criminal offenses and ask what you need to do to file telephone harassment / harassment charges against this person.....and then they can guide you from there.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.