TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I'm dating a palestinian man who moved here with s family

Customer Question

Hi. I'm dating a palestinian man who moved here with his family when he was 15. he was married when he was 20 (not sure if in palestine or the states). He says he's divorced but my friend who is an attorney could not located a divorce record in maryland (where he and has family has lived since they came here). my question is, if he got married in palestine, is the marriage acknowledged here in the states? They both have social security numbers too and same last name...so I'm a bit baffled now.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: if they got divorced in maryland (where they live) then, he did not find it. if they got divorced in another state (HIGHLY doubt it), he wouldnt be able to see it.
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: not beyond that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: if he got married in palestine, is the marriage acknowledged here in the states?

A: Yes. If the marriage was legitimate under Palestine law, then it is recognized in the States. The only exception would be if it is against public policy. For example, a marriage between your boyfriend and a 9 year old girl would not be recognized in the States. But other than examples like that, then the marriage will be recognized. Also, a divorce would be recognized as well, no matter where it was so long as it was legitimate under the laws of the jurisdiction where it occurred.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.