Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

How do you cover a deceased relative's outstanding bills

Customer Question

How do you cover a deceased relative's outstanding bills if you don't have the money?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
There is no general legal obligation that you cover the debt of a deceased relative. Any creditor of the deceased relative would have to look to the assets of the deceased for payment. If the estate is insolvent then the creditor is just out of luck.
In other words, you have no personal liability to cover anyone else's debt, unles you agreed to do so in writing.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My stepfather passed motherday, he had gave me a copy of his well giveing me the house I live in and he has left a executor to take care of the rest of his asscess and told him my daughter was to get the house she leaves in too, how do we get the houses in our name and can we put the both houses in both our names.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for following up with me. My condolences for your loss.

You would need to open an estate in probate and submit the will. Assuming the will is admitted, the court would appoint the executor and the executor, after resolving lawful claims, could put the property in your name.