AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I have fear siblings safety. What can I do if i suspect

Customer Question

I have fear for my siblings safety. What can I do if i suspect malicious intent. Can someone discuss how I am suppose to hire an attorney when they can't understand what I need? Who can help clarify the issue if lawyers have no time?

Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you for informational purposes.

It sounds like a difficult situation. You seem to have a case that is quite involved and has many parts. Alot of times, people underestimate the amount of time and work their case is going to involve. Your case probably involves several legal issues, and the attorney is probably nervous about getting involved in your case, because he knows that it will end up being more work than he wants to take on, because of the multiple legal issues, and he knows that if he is to do a competent job, you are going to have to retain him on each part of the case. If he doesn't do it like that, you might end up upset at him later if your case does not work out how you want it to, because one part of the case was not handled. I hope that has helped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

where can I go who might have time to understand what is going on so that I can know what I need a lawyer to do? I might need to save someone before they die but i need coaching along the way.... The lawyers are too pressed for time. They simply have no time. Is there someone whom can help me clarify the actual seperate parts of the situation and assist me in clafifying what the priorities are so I can write them into an outline with the seperate issues. Maybe once a list of points are made, an attorny can better know what case to open or how best to guide me as to what action needs to be taken.

Sometimes, the situation in a case could be compared to surgery for a doctor - - - a doctor sometimes might say, it looks like a brain tumor, and we are going to have to operate to remove it, but it's possible it could be something else. He might not know exactly what is involved until after he gets the patient on the surgery table and the head opened up and gets a good look. At that point, maybe he sees the tumor, but he also sees a parasite that is eating away at the brain. That parasite would require a different treatment that is more costly, and he did not know about it up front, nor did he know the cost up front.

You will need to be willing to pay an attorney for their fair per hour rate to discuss your issue with you. They will not be pressed for time if you are fairly compensating them and not trying to get three hours of consult done in one hour of billable time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok, i get that. But when I started to discuss the story, they said i am describing too many things and they can't isolate what I need from them.

Do you know where I can go so the person I see can help me at least write the issues down in an organized timeline? Then I would present that to the attorny. I don't know what I need from the attorney. I need the attorny to tell me if there is any issue to begin with once he gets the details. The billing rate is $500 per hour so I am already in $1,300 and have to stop because the attorny needs more info. Now I am afraid to continue. I would like to write a time line. DO you know who I would get to write me the story so an attorney can read a summary and help figure out a plan or prioritize a plan?

I think that would be something you would do, and bring the timeline that you prepared to the consultation with you. Make sure it is clear and concise.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I can't do it because I am taking care of others and have no time. I need someone that I can dictate to that can isolate the issues and create language or summarize for me. I have a problem with organizing thoughts. I see many parts simultaneously and can not articulate. Do you know any professions that have people available tthat can help me with this step?

You might be able to find an independent paralegal to assist you, or you might request a consultation with a paralegal at a law office to organize and prepare for the consultation with the attorney. The paralegal would not be able to advise you, however.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It would be to get my details more flowing and organized. I can't find paralegals. They are all lawyers in my area and cost the same as an attorney. Who else can i get?

Maybe you could get a friend or relative to help. Or you could put an ad on craigslist.com to hire someone who is good at writing to assist you in writing your outline.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I paid $300 for a consult with the attorney office and they said they can't help me until 3 weeks.. But I need help with strategy NOW as so many things are happening.. So it was useless

I believe I have answered your question. Please allow me to be credited for all of my time I have spent in assisting you in this by giving me a positive rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

sorry for the delay...

Your case probably involves several legal issues, and the attorney is probably nervous about getting involved in your case, because he knows that it will end up being more work than he wants to take on, because of the multiple legal issues, and he knows that if he is to do a competent job, you are going to have to retain him on each part of the case.

So when there is an outline completed with some bullet points, do attorneys help someone with advice or education about situations that does not need court action of the attorney but perhaps in writing letters or managing a situation as it developes, as in letter writing or making phone calls and mediating, weighting and making decisions?