Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Can I have a completely anonymous, not to go in any data

Customer Question

Can I have a completely anonymous, not to go in any data base DNA Test In WA. State? How can I ensure that a lab offering DNA testing and claiming it is strictly private and anonymous is legit and doesn't have a sneaky database? Is there any way of ensuring my privacy, getting them to sign something to protect myself?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, a private DNA laboratory cannot disclose your information without your written consent under HIPAA. So the lab cannot disclose your information into any database without your written consent.
Legally if the lab puts it into any database or discloses the information to anyone without your written consent or a court subpoena, they have violated HIPAA and also the state medical records laws regarding confidentiality of medical records and you could sue under the WA laws for damages in addition to filing a complaint under HIPAA for sanctions by the US Department of Health and Human Services.