Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I have been married to my second husband 7 years. I was told

Customer Question

I have been married to my second husband for almost 7 years. I was told when we married that after a certain number of years I could draw S.S. from him. Is this true and if so how long is the waiting period?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. You can receive spousal benefits on your husband's earning record, if it would be more than what you'd get on your own, if you are at least 62 years old and your husband is receiving either retirement or disability benefits. The spousal benefit amount is half of what your husband receives. If you meet those requirements, you only have to be married for a year before you can apply. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Did you have any other questions about this?