How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8065
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I instigated my husband (I am severe bipolar among other

Customer Question

I instigated my husband (I am severe bipolar among other diagnosis ) and he suffers from severe PTSD and isn't taking his meds. We got into argument I took his cell phone and he took it back grabbing my wrist to get it and took off. I called crisis line for VA and the police as I was concerned about his state of mind.
They have given him a citation for harassment and no we wonder what will happen. I never wanted any of this just to know he was safe.
What will happen in court? Will this just go away especially if I explain I instigated the start of all this and he was just trying to get his phone and I only called for his safety.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.
Is this a summary harassment ticket (ie it has an option to plead guilty by marking a box and paying a fine) or is there a required court appearance?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Court appearance
Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.
Thank you;first, harassment is a misdemeanor of the third degree according to statute 2709. The statute is here: Once a person makes a report to the police, it is up to the prosecutor as to whether they will bring charges (ie the person cannot withdraw the complaint). According to statute, the punishment is:5) For a misdemeanor of the third degree, a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 90 days, or both. That information is here: However, specific intent for harassment is required per the code, so if the prosecutor is unable to prove that, the charge may be dismissed. Alternatively, the prosecutor may offer a plea bargain involving anger management or other therapy.It is best to hire a local attorney as they will have a relationship with the court officials and may be able to schedule the hearing with a prosecutor/judge that is more likely to either offer a plea bargain, or possibly even dismiss it outright if there is insufficient evidence and the witness (the person making the report) is not wishing to pursue it.

Related Family Law Questions