How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11458
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 17 1/2 and has lived with me full time past 3

Customer Question

My son is 17 1/2 and has lived with me full time for the past 3 years even though I have shared custody with his dad. My son wants to take a trip to France with his school in December, a month before he will be 18. My ex doesn't want to allow him to go. Can he enforce this even though he basically hasn't been making any real decisions for him the past three years? What are my rights?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Linda,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. Do you share legal custody with the other parent?2. Does the other parent have visitation?3. Is the other parent open to discussion or is he just being a jerk?4. What state are you in?Thanks in advance,Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought there was an answer waiting for me. Can you please tell me if he has the right to enforce this. We share custody, 50/50.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm in California. I have physical custody, but on paper we have 50/50; however, it has never been enforced.

Related Family Law Questions