Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My mother is being harrased child support from decades ago.

Customer Question

my mother is being harrased for back child support from decades ago. first off the amount is totally inflated and wrong and they didnt serve her properly because they sent notices to wrong addresses and when she finally got the notice the amount was super inflated. also the "child" is now over 30 years old and the custodial parent makes 3 times as much as my mother. my mother is currently unemployed and is sick with a life threatening condition and they have taken her tax refund, garnished wages, and now they just froze her accounts. im really scared all this stress on her financially and medical condition is going to put her under and im really worried. i dont know what to do to help her. she cant afford what they are asking for and the amount is way off.
JA: They're dead. Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no she cant afford one
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: those are the main issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Child support is a legal obligation of the non-custodial parent to pay the custodial parent. It does not depend on whether the custodial parent makes more or not, it depends on the legal duty imposed by the OH law.
However, if she is sick and in significant financial hardship, then she can file a motion to waive or reduce arrears in the court where the support has been issued and she would need to present that proof to the court. If you want to help her, then getting her an attorney to file is essential, because without an attorney her chances of success are much lower and this is not an easy case to begin with because it is a statutory obligation she had over the years to pay.