Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

MY 19 YEAR OLD MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY CHALLENGED DAUGHTER

Customer Question

MY 19 YEAR OLD MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY CHALLENGED DAUGHTER IS BEING HELD IN A HOUSE WITH A 36 YR OLD WITH 2 SONS WHO WILL NOT ALLOW HER TO TALK TO ANYONE I NEED TO SUE HER
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO JUSTBTHE SHERRIFS DEPARTMENT TONIGHT WHEN I WENT TO PICK HER UP NOT ONCE DID I HEAR THE WORDS OF ANY KIND FROM MY DAUGHTER JUST THE GIRL AND HER MOTHER
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN IN SPECIAL EDUCATION SINCE 3RD GRADE SHE READS ON A 3RD GRADE LEVEL AND NO MATH AT ALL I HAD HER IN A TRANSITION PROGRAM FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO COLLEGE AND SHE WENT OUT TO THE GIRLS HOUSE TO VISIT AND HAS BEEN MUNIPULATED EVERY SINCE THE GIRLCALLED THE SCHOOL TOOK HER OUT THE PROGRAM I WENT UP THERE AND ENROLLED HER IN A 8 MONTH CRASH COURSE HANDS ON THE GIRL TOOK HER OUT...I WENT AT CHRISTMAS AND TOLD THE GIRLS FAMILY BROUGHT HET HOME SHE HAD A JOB AT CHURCHES CHICKEN WHERE THEY WERE WORKING WITH HER AND WAS GETTING ENROLLED BACK INTO THE COLLEGE PROGRAM...YHE GIRL CALLLED MY DAUGHTER ALLLLLL DAY EVERYDAY AND ON SATURDAY NIGHT BEFORE EASTER THE GIRL LIED TO HER GODMOTHER WHERE SHE WAS AND SAID I WAS OK WITH HER COMING OVER FOR EASTER SHE HAS LOST HER JOB AND CALLS DAILY FOR MONEY BUT WONT TALK TO ANYONE I TEXT HER TOLD HER I WAS COMING TODAY AFTER CHURCH AND NEVER ONCE TALK TO MY CHILD JUST THE GIRL MOTHER WHO SAYS SHE DONT WANT TO GET INVOLVED AS SHE SPOKE ON THE PHONE TO HER DAUGHTER I AM SEEKING HOW TO FILE AGAINST TJIS GIRL FOR HARBORING AND MANIPULATING THE MIND OF A CHILD IN THE MIND...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What happened when you went over there with the police? Have you obtained any sort of conservatorship over your daughter since she turned 18?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO WE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS I NEVER THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAPPEN
THE POLICE BECAUSE SHE IS 19 NOTHING THEY CAN DO EVEN IFBSHEBIS BEING COACHED...MY DAUGHTER CAN NOT GET A JOB SHE NEVER GOT HER HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA SHE IS A VIRGIN NEVER HAD A BOYFRIEND THISVGIRL IS ISLILATONG HER FROM ALL OF HER FAMILY I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING I CAN OBTAIN THROUGH THE COURTS OR SOME LAW WHERE I CAN SUEBTHIS GIRL FOR DELIBERATE MUNIPILATION OF THE LESS FORTUNATE THINKER
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
SHE IS BEING COACHED AND MANIPULATED THIS IS NO RELATIVE OF HERS AT ALL...
Thank you. I'm sorry that this is happening. Your daughter is legally an adult, which means she's considered to be capable of making her own decisions - and her own mistakes. I understand your desire to protect her, but you would never have a lawsuit in this situation, because you don't have a right to determine where your daughter goes or what she does after her 18th birthday. Police cannot take an adult from a place they want to be (and have a legal right to be). Your daughter could have a cause of action against these people for money they're taking from her if they're stealing it or threatening her. But that's something she would have to decide. The only action you could take as a parent is to file an action to have your daughter declared mentally incompetent to make these decisions and have yourself appointed as her guardian. That would give you an obligation to care for her until her disability is removed. You didn't say what the nature of her mental and emotional challenges are, but you'd have to convince the judge that she doesn't possess the mental capacity to take care of herself and therefore needs a caretaker. That's going to require records from doctors or psychiatrists who can testify as to what her condition is and how it affects her daily life. Then you'd have to prove that it's in her best interests for you to take care of her. If your daughter's challenges do not rise to the level where she is incapable of caring for herself, then all you can do is be there for her and hope she decides to leave on her own. Police cannot intervene unless you have a court order giving you care for her. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
EVEN THOUGH SHE IS SPECIAL ED DOES NOT READ OR COMPREHENED...SHE IS NOTBGETTING HEALTH OR DENTAL CARE
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NOT GETTING HEALTH OR DENTAL CARE
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NOT ONCE HAVE I HEARD THIS FROM HER OWN MOUTH THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT TO COME HOME
I'm afraid you still need to get a court order. One adult cannot enter a private home to remove another adult without a judge first stating that it's allowed.
the only way to get a court order is to have yourself appointed as her caretaker because her special needs render her unable to care for herself.