Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

We are first cousin's, over 80, one lives in Iowa, the other

Customer Question

we are first cousin's, over 80, one lives in Iowa, the other in Minn, can we get married in Minn
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We are both Catholic, & want this marriage in the Catholic Church, we both have lost are sponuse's
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: OK, thank you, ***** ***** know what the fee would be
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Would your Family Lawyer be able to help us
JA: Yes, I was born in America.
Customer: So what would the answer be
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. First cousin marriage is not legal in the state of Minnesota or for that matter in Iowa. Cousin marriage is legal in these states: Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, and Virginia. Cousin marriage is allowed in the following states under certain circumstances: Arizona: if both are 65 or older, or one is unable to reproduce. Illinois: if both are 50 or older, or one is unable to reproduce. Indiana: if both are at least 65. Maine: if couple obtains a physician's certificate of genetic counseling. North Carolina: first cousin marriage is legal, double cousin marriage is prohibited. Utah: if both are 65 or older, or if both are 55 or older and one is unable to reproduce. Wisconsin: if the woman is 55 or older, or one is unable to reproduce. See below for the Minnesota Statute prohibiting 1st cousin marriage: 517.03 PROHIBITED CIVIL MARRIAGES.Subdivision 1.General.The following civil marriages are prohibited:(1) a civil marriage entered into before the dissolution of an earlier civil marriage of one of the parties becomes final, as provided in section 518.145 or by the law of the jurisdiction where the dissolution was granted;(2) a civil marriage between an ancestor and a descendant, or between siblings, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption; and(3) a civil marriage between an uncle or aunt and a niece or nephew, or between first cousins, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood, except as to civil marriages permitted by the established customs of aboriginal cultures. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?