TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Can you freeze someone's savings account to make sure

Customer Question

Can you freeze someone's savings account to make sure they have the money you are suing them for in the state of Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. No, the general rule is that a plaintiff in a lawsuit cannot freeze a defendant's bank account prior to obtaining a money judgment. There are always exceptions, of course, but it would be uncommon. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, here's the situation. My ex wife and i sold our house. After my half was put into an account she took the liberty to pay off her credit card ($2981.84) but i only owed $2000. I want to sue her and freeze her savings so i know she will have the money to pay me back.
Hi again. In that type of situation, I would not expect the judge to freeze the account prior to obtaining the money judgment. I wish that I had better news.
Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!