Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have a question regarding my daughter who resides with me.

Customer Question

hello, I have a question regarding my daughter who resides with me. She will be 12 years old in July. I moved to Florida from NJ in September to attend school, my daughter came to live with me in January after her mom left NJ to move to Colorado. I am now a Florida resident and my daughter attends school her. I was just notified by my ex wife that she plans to come down in june and take my daughter to Colorado. My daughter is afraid of her and does not want to go. She is in therapy down here because of issues with her mom., and suffers from Panic attacks when ever her mom texts her or snap chats her. Ther are more issues I could explain, but my question is Do I need to let my daughter go? We never went to court in NJ regarding this. We had joint custody in the divorce and I planned on moving back to NJ after school. Her mom leaving was a shock. I have a notarized letter from her mom stating that it was ok for me to register her in school in Florida.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about this. You do need to let the mom spend time with her daughter per your joint custody arrangement however, if you feel she is a threat to her in some way, then you need to seek a modification of your custody order wherein there is supervised visitation or mother can see her only here and not by going to other states.