Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Served ex with contempt of court support arrears

Customer Question

Served ex with contempt of court for child support arrears and unpaid medical bills dating back 18 months. I have paid medical bills in full, but have not been reimbursed for his share. He just went on unemployment 3 weeks ago, claiming his work is "seasonal" and there are not any jobs right now, (works offshore). He is collecting the full amount for unemployment benefits, but will the court hold him to his responsibility to pay back bills, arrears now that he is on unemployment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
he is still liable for those amounts. The judge may garnish the unemployment benefits or allow a lien on a bank account. Due to the unemployment I would predict that jail time is not likely to be awarded.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I am not asking for jail, just simply to pay his debts. I was told that in the state of WA, if he is on unemployment that he can't be held in contempt?
That is my understanding as well but you can request the judge enforce his child support order in any way he deems fit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he would or would not be off the hook for past medical bills? Even though bills were accumulated during the past 18 months where he was working
He would be responsible for his share.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But he wouldn't be held in contempt because he's collecting unemployment
Contempt means jail time and it would not be very likely due to the unemployment.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can he be held in civil contempt?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
basically what I'm trying to ask is even though he isn't working right now, and he is collecting unemployment, will he be responsible to pay for his share of bills and arrears? or because he is unemployed he gets off scott free?
He does not get off scott free. He will still owe the momey and the judge will order a garnishment of unemployment benefits or put a lien on his accounts or order a pay plan.
If you have no further questions, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated as we only get paid for positive ratings of 3 stars or more.