Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

If my son was voluntarly given back to me over a year ago,

Customer Question

If my son was voluntarly given back to me over a year ago, how can i get things modified so that he can't be taken back from the home that best suits him??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be glad to answer your question.
Was child custody ordered by the court in your case?
Please provide me with more details about your situation, so I can better answer your question.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My son was voluntarily given back to me over a year ago and as far as the custody papers on him. His paternal grandmother still has the right for his primary residence. There are many more things that have gone on with his grandmother. My step-daughter was removed from her home by the state after my sons were given back to me voluntarily.

Thank you for your for your follow up.

Was the custody approved or ordered by the local family court?

Was the child custody ever reviewed by the family court?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir. We have not been to any court since Jourdan was given back to me and his grandmother is now calling and checking his grades. She told the school that she has primary residence of him and that makes me worry that if I allow her to have him so that he can get his things there that she will try to not allow him to come home. I have copies of cps records where she stated that she hates my oldest son with a passion. Also have documents stating that my step daughter was removed from her home by the state

Thank you for your follow up.

Were there any court proceeding related to custody before your son was given to you?

Did the court order any custody prior to the voluntary transfer of custody?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As far as Jourdan, there was previous court papers that have not been changed yet. Yes. There was joint custody before she gave them back to me

Thank you for the clarification.

Generally, the way to change custody, is to file Petition to Modify Child Custody with the local family court that had ordered the original child custody and has jurisdiction over the minor child and the judge will review the petition and response from the other parent and will hold a hearing at which a decision will be made by the court whether to modify current child custody and generally the judge will make such decision based on the current law and also what is in the best interest of the minor child.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.