How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16558
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my son was voluntarly given back to me over a year ago,

Customer Question

If my son was voluntarly given back to me over a year ago, how can i get things modified so that he can't be taken back from the home that best suits him??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be glad to answer your question.
Was child custody ordered by the court in your case?
Please provide me with more details about your situation, so I can better answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was voluntarily given back to me over a year ago and as far as the custody papers on him. His paternal grandmother still has the right for his primary residence. There are many more things that have gone on with his grandmother. My step-daughter was removed from her home by the state after my sons were given back to me voluntarily.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your for your follow up.

Was the custody approved or ordered by the local family court?

Was the child custody ever reviewed by the family court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir. We have not been to any court since Jourdan was given back to me and his grandmother is now calling and checking his grades. She told the school that she has primary residence of him and that makes me worry that if I allow her to have him so that he can get his things there that she will try to not allow him to come home. I have copies of cps records where she stated that she hates my oldest son with a passion. Also have documents stating that my step daughter was removed from her home by the state
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Were there any court proceeding related to custody before your son was given to you?

Did the court order any custody prior to the voluntary transfer of custody?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as Jourdan, there was previous court papers that have not been changed yet. Yes. There was joint custody before she gave them back to me
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification.

Generally, the way to change custody, is to file Petition to Modify Child Custody with the local family court that had ordered the original child custody and has jurisdiction over the minor child and the judge will review the petition and response from the other parent and will hold a hearing at which a decision will be made by the court whether to modify current child custody and generally the judge will make such decision based on the current law and also what is in the best interest of the minor child.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.