JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

Virginia Fairfax County Civil Circuit Motion in Limine. How

Customer Question

Virginia
Fairfax County
Civil Circuit
Motion in Limine.
How many days before the trial to I need to submit?
Is this heard before or at the trial?
What is typically excluded?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. If there is not a specific requirement set forth in the scheduling order or the local rules then it is best to submit it 90 days before trial if possible. Usually Motions in Limine are hear at the pretrial conference which is, of course, before he trial. A motion in limine doesn't actually exclude anything, although that is a common misperception. A motion in limine, if granted, just requires that a lawyer.party approach the bench befopre going into whatever is covered by the motion and request permission to bring it up before doing so. That is to prevent the jury from potentially hearing something they shouldn't. I don't think there is anything that is "typically" covered by the Motion in Limine since it varies from case to case and with the different facts. The only thing I can think of that would be "typical" is that a Motion in Limine will almost always ask that the attorney not discuss or show anything to the judge that wasn't provided in discovery. If you run a search for Motion in Limine under Google you should find a lot of examples.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fairfax County Virginia
Circuit Court, Civil
If a protective order is granted to block a deposition, what can I do?
Motion to Reconsider.....but the trial is only a few days away.
Appeal to Virginia Court of Appeals?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 11 months ago.
No, that's what is known as an interlocutory ruling and you can't actually do anything until the appeal. You would want to subpoena the person to trial if they are within subpoena range and then if you lose the case you would address the issue on appeal.