How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100968
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Granddaughter 15 years old. Child of divorce. Joint custody.

Customer Question

Granddaughter 15 years old. Child of divorce. Joint custody. Was attending St. Marks High School and was expelled for drug possession and paraphernalia and abnormal amount of cash.
Mother enrolled her in A.I. DuPont High where she has also been suspect. Failing the grade. Just this week end mother found empty small containers with white powder residue(5 or 6).
Also an empty baggie with little alien faces all over it. And what appeared to be a half of a green ecstasy pill.
Mother sent the daughter to fathers house for the week end which he then bought a new dress and sent her off to a party.
I contacted the father at that point and he completely denies her having anything to do with drugs and said all kids smoke pot.
Should I lodge a complaint? I feel helpless.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if the grandchild has ever lived with you for an extended period of time?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Child has never lived with me. Joint custody is between Mother and Dad. Parents are ignoring or in denial of seriousness of the situation. Just want to know what avenues I could go down to ensure her safety. Ugh!
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

You are free to lodge a complaint with DSCYF at(###) ###-#### ***** then, it would be DSCYF who investigates and may file for custody against the parent(s) unless they both get their parenting act together. If so, then the child may be placed with you if the DSCYF moves and the Court is convinced that the child needs temporary replacement.

But that is the extent of what someone in your situation can do for the grandchild, I am afraid.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!