Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC
93921581

I would like to know if I have legal custody and not physical

Customer Question

I would like to know if I have legal custody and not physical can I keep the child because she telling me she's being abused and doesn't want to go back
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 6 months ago.

If there is not a parenting plan or custody order in place, you may not have legal custody. If your child tells you she is being abused, however, you should report it to the Department of Children's Services (or similarly named dept. in your state) so that an investigation can be done. This should help you get legal custody if the other parent is guilty of abuse.

Expert:  Bill Fix replied 6 months ago.

If you're the mother of the child--then your legal custody is assumed. But otherwise, if a formal custody case has not been processed with a judge signing an order, odds are legal custody has not been established. If you're the father, you likely need to take a paternity test and file a petition for custody to establish legal custody.

If child abuse is present, you should take action with the appropriate state agency immediately.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.