JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

My wife is threating to report that i stole one of our vehicles

Customer Question

My wife is threating to report that i stole one of our vehicles can she do that if that car is in her name
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We were Arguing so i left in the car i told her id be gone most of the day. She said if i took the car she would report it stolen
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Was this car purchased during the marriage?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it was purchased before
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A month or two before we were married
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.
She can report it then. The police aren't necessarily going to do anything about it but it is possible. If it was bought during the marriage then you have a property interest claim and couldn't be effectively prosecuted. However, since it was purchased prior to marriage it is her separate property and therefore if the cops wanted to pursue it they could.