Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have almost exactly 30 days until I represent myself

Customer Question

I have almost exactly 30 days until I represent myself pro-se in a custody case. I know I know its not the best idea but its what I have got so Im doing it. My only concern is this the judge asked for only proposed orders to be submitted, and now im realizing that pretrial memos should have been done and yet no one is filing them to my knowledge, and because this is across the US from me, there is no pre trial conference and there has been no discovery. So my question is, should I just go ahead and present the pretrial memo at court or before hand bc I know there is so much to this case that I feel he needs to know ahead of time, and since there has been no sharing of witnesses or evidence, how am I supposed to meet burden of proof? I am fairly confused at this stage.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Randy St Onge replied 5 months ago.
You need to call the court clerk of the judge in your case first thing, be very nice, let them know you are pro se, and ask them what you have missed, what you still need to turn in. Generally, they are very helpful and can answer no-legal questions of that nature. What I call the low hanggin fruit of personal legal help.