Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My son has a 10 wk old daughter. He does not live with the

Customer Question

My son has a 10 wk old daughter. He does not live with the mother. She is making it very difficult for him to spend time with the baby. They are both on welfare. He was not made aware of the pregnancy until she was 6.5 months along. At the time their relationship was on a downhill slide, she is 32, he is 27. He thought that since she had been spending more time with her Mom she had been eating better and therefore gained a little weight. This is a very stressful situation and I am wondering what his rights are as a father, and what he can do to protect his paternity rights.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. The best thing your grandson can do to protect his rights is go to the family court and file a motion for parenting time (visitation) with his child. He doesn't need a lawyer to do that - he can file on his own.
I just noticed that your case says "canada" - are you in the U.S. or in Canada? (If Canada, I need to opt out of your question).