Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My grand daughter 19 years old is a senior in a private high

Customer Question

My grand daughter 19 years old is a senior in a private high school and is to graduated in June 5,2016. She has been in this school since last year. The first year she was an honor student and received leadership award, The second year all hell broke loose since a new student came on board and for some reasons started to bullying and harassing my grand daugther by coming to her bed room screaming and cursing at all hours invited. My grand daughter started to defend herself and ask for help but it seemed that the Dean tried to do some interventions but she felt he did not support her or prevent the abuse. She has been loosing her self worth and had anxieties attacks, was depressed and become at times so devastated that she lost control of her life. At times when she responded she was suspended from school and at times she just lost control of what to do. Felt helpless and felt as if no one could help her. The abuser was suspended 2 but both girls were not given conflict resolutions skills. The dean seems to do the solution by suspending the students which to my granddaughte is even more devastating to her emotional well being since she feels she is being rejected by the authority source that she could not trust to begin with. My granddaughter emotion that she is being rejected is so devastating since she experience so many losses. Her birth mother rejected her and she went in a orphanaged in Russia that was the worst, and then when she was adopted by the American parents her adopted mother rejected and sent her to another state and does not want to know her. These are tragic situation for her and to deal with abuse and now again being rejected by the Dean is devastating to her. I think that because of her pain she reached out to smoking pot and i believe this was her first experience at the school that is supposed to be drug free she was caught and suspended till the end of the school year which was only 3 weeks left. I feel that the school is responsible for my grand daughter emotion detirioration due to the fact that the dean did not keep her safe from being bullying and free of drugs. The school is in an isolated place in a town upstate so I dont see that she got the pot at home or anyplace else except the school. I think she had a right for being protected from being bullying and the dean should have taken better measure to help my grand daughter be safe . What do you think we can do at this time since its the end of the school year.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry to read about all these incidents. You would need to obtain the services of local Attorney who handles school law to send a letter to the school to rescind the suspend or otherwise the Attorney would file lawsuit against the school for not protecting her from harassment and bullying. You should also contact the Superintendent of the school district and file a complaint, or the Attorney can assist you in filing the complaint. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Lawyers.com Justia.com Findlaw.com Goodluck with your case, Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.