Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I have a 19 years old grand daughter is a senior in high

Customer Question

I have a 19 years old grand daughter is a senior in high school in a private school and was to graduate in 3 weeks. She came to this school last year and this is her 2nd year. Last year she was an honor student and got a leadership award. This year ever since a new student came to the school that started to "bullying and harassing her" she has done horrible. She could not defend herself and claims that the "dean" of students was not fair in his interventions and did not punish the girl in a fair manner or did nothing to prevent it who started the "bullying" My grand daugther could not defend herself and became depressed and begin to have anxieties attacks and at a point she did not want to leave the bedroom. I think because of this stress she also at times acted out and was suspended for her actions. Two weeks ago she reached out and somehow she obtained some pot and got caught and was suspended to the end of the year. The dean does not want her back now and is given home work to complete the year meanwhile the other girl is still at school and there does not seem to be justice here. My granddaughter claims there are witness and there was a "video" of the girl who was harassing her. My granddaughter is devasted since she was adopted from Russia and was abandoned by her birth mother, she was in an orphanage, and then when she was 9 years old was adopted by my son and his wife and then the adopted mother abandoned her 3 years ago and does not see her. The school seem to have done the same they abandoned her too. I trusted the school to keep my grand daughter safe and free from "bullying" and free from drugs too. I feel the school schould be accountable for my granddaugther becoming so depressed and feeling of rejection from the school that was supposed to give her support and care for her wellfare. Do you think there are issues that we can grieve and ask them to compensate her
for her emotional stress. I was so looking forward to her graduation ceremony and she will miss out on her senior trip and the other friends she establish connections with. I even bought a white dress that the school required for graduation. I wanted her to go back and finish the school year in dignity and pride. It was only 3 more weeks. I think it was just an easy way out for the dean not to do any more work and avoid his responsibility. What do you think we can do at this time. Its only her dad and I who supports her at this time and are devastated. Please advise
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
She may have a claim for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress ("IIED"). However, in order to prevail on her claim of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, she needs to show that (1) this individual acted intentionally or recklessly; (2) her actions were extreme and outrageous (persistent harassment and bullying, etc.); and (3) her actions were the cause (4) of her severe emotional distress and the school did nothing to help her. IIED is a tort in the same category as personal injury. So, she would need the services of a local personal injury Attorney to file the lawsuit for her. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Best wishes, Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.