Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

Steven....i still think there is a conflict here

Customer Question

Hi Steven....i still think there is a conflict here for this guy to represent her....they have been together only a few months....he is madly in love with her...and i think he is unduly influencing her because if he can get her custody then she will move in with him and with my daughter....it does not seem right to me that he can represent her with this hidden agenda....please let me know your thoughts.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 6 months ago.
Rule 1.7 of the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct states that:(b) A lawyer shall not represent a client if the representation of that client may be materially limited by the lawyer's responsibilities to another client or to a third person, or by the lawyer's own interests, unless:(1) the lawyer reasonably believes the representation will not be adversely affected; and(2) the client consents after consultation. When representation of multiple clients in a single matter is undertaken, the consultation shall include explanation of the implications of the common representation and the advantages and risks involved. So, even if there is an apparent conflict, if she consents, he is allowed to represent her.