NYFamilyLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, licensed for 36 years as a trial and appellate attorney

We are foster parents who have been designaged as the adoptive

Customer Question

We are foster parents who have been designaged as the adoptive resource for a child. DHS is doing an investigation on our home and has taken the child. The investigation started with a relative who doesn't live in our home and now they are grasping at straws and won't give him back. We need help. Are there attorneys that will help with this kind of stuff?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NYFamilyLawyer replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, keep in mind that at the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks!
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I handle cases as a GAL/Attorney for the Child in NY, and I've seen cases like this all the time. It's a combination of DHS/CPS getting involved, whether warranted or not, and an adoption case. I have had a lot of foster parents who are adoptive resources and many have gone on to adopt the child. You will need a family attorney who handles DHS/CPS cases and adoptions. Not all Family lawyers handle adoptions, so you will need someone who specifically handles adoptions. Do you know of any or would you like me to find some for you in your area? I can't recommend any for you but I certainly can give you a list of attorneys and you can pick from that list. I would give you information as to how to select someone and what to look for, and what to avoid.I can do this if you let me know what big town/city is near yours or even your town if it's big enough. You want to be able to have enough of a selection to choose a family lawyer who does adoptions and who will also be able to fight DHS. Many attorneys will fight DHS but not necessarily do adoptions, so you need an experienced attorney who can do both.Please let me know if you would like me to send you a list of attys in your area who are family lawyers and also if there is anything else I can answer for you.
If this case involves a relative who was not in your home but for some reason DHS thinks he/she was and was a bad influence on the child, that can be overcome if you're able to show the relative doesn't live there, hasn't lived there, etc. A family lawyer can help you with that.
Does this answer your question? If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you. Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!