ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have a parenting plan and divorce decree that doesn't specifically

Customer Question

I have a parenting plan and divorce decree that doesn't specifically state anything concerning expenses covering school. My son now is being enrolled in a private Scholl due to his IEP with the help of the McKay scholarship but I am taking my ex back to court to help with the tuition cost. Is my only option to adjust the child support or can I ask for a modification that specifically addresses his special needs concerning the school and cost associated with it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Modification for child support is not your only option. You can, and should, ask for both. Child support is generally financial, that is paid to you. You can also typically ask for other modifications, such as paying directly the costs associated withe the special needs (as opposed to paying you). So it's certainly possible that you can ask for both, and I would suggest that you do. Giving the judge a couple of different avenues makes it more likely that he/she will pick at least one of those options. Just as a point of human psychology, people don't like to say "no" twice. So it's best to ask the more extreme request first, and then the less extreme one, and that makes the odds of getting at least one of those requests granted. So you can certainly ask both, and you should. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My concern is the possibility of my current support being reduced as well how often does that happen
It's rare that an additional responsibility would result in a reduction in what you receive. Rather, only if your ex could show some substantial change in circumstances on his part (reduction in his pay, etc...) that would be unrelated to the reason that you're asking for the modification to the decree, would there be a reduction in what you're receiving.
If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Hello???