FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, licensed for 36 years as a trial and appellate attorney
89910983

Colorado- We are taking care of 2 kids 17 and 13, and we are

Customer Question

Colorado- We are taking care of 2 kids 17 and 13, and we are not related. I have had the 17 yr old for a year now and the 13 for 8 months, we have asked parents for child support with no help at all. I was told I could file some kind of petition or form asking to be reimbursed by the parents. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you.
There are laws on the books in Colorado which require child support for grandparents or other relatives, and you indicate you are not related. I did see, however, something that said for other caretakers and I will give you this information: http://www.garfield-county.com/human-services/child-support-services.aspx. This may not be your county but there are forms there too, so that is something you can look at if you want.Since you are not related and do not have an order, it is likely you will have to get one to become a legally recognized guardian or gain custody of the children. Child support in Col generally goes till 19. You can get a support order but you may need to get guardianship first. I suggest that you contact a family lawyer in your area and discuss this issue with the lawyer. The parents are responsible for payment, and yes you'd have to file a petition in your local court, family division. You'd have to show that you're taking care of the children. I don't know how the children got to you but I presume the parents gave you the kids and said please take care of them for us. I don't know if they listed any particular time period or if it was just supposed to be for a short time. If just for a short time, you'd have to ask an attorney in Col. if it's retroactive but it may not be. If you're keeping the kids indefinitely, it's wise to seek child support from the parents. My suggestion - contact a local family lawyer and discuss this with him or her. ASK for a FREE consultation so that all it will cost you is your time at that point.If you want me to find lawyers in your area who do family law, just let me know the nearest city/town and I'll send you a list. We cannot recommend lawyers but I can certainly send you a list and let you choose from that list. Yes, if you're a relative you can get child support, but I did see something that mentioned other caretakers, and I know the parents have a duty to support, period. Again, you may need a guardianship order as well but a local attorney can tell you that. Still, yes, you would have to file a petition in the court. Does that help you? I hope I have answered your question.If you need ANY more information please ask me! I am always happy to continue answering the question long after I've finished my initial response.If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you! Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred).