FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

IF A FATHER IS CHARGED WITH CHILD ABANDONMENT BUT THE CHILDREN

Customer Question

iF A FATHER IS CHARGED WITH CHILD ABANDONMENT BUT THE CHILDREN WERE TAKEN OUT OF STATE TO LIVE, WILL THIS STAND IN COURT IN THE STATE WHERE THE FATHER LIVES?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon. Who were the children taken by?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the mother and sent to their grandmother
Thank you. Child abandonment is a misdemeanor offense in Georgia with a penalty of a $1,000 fine or up to 12 months in prison, when a parent has failed to provide sufficient food clothing, or shelter for the needs of the child for 30 days. (O.C.G.A sec. 19-10-1). In this situation, there is no intent and your actions are not voluntary. As you shared, it was the MOTHER who took the child out of State, against your wishes and placed them with the grandmother. It would be hard for the State to proceed when this was a result of the actions of the mother and through no fault of your own. It is not as though you had possession of the child or custody. This is a situation where the mother has kept the child away from you, intentionally.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.